This website is operated by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society. The BNF is jointly owned by the BMJ Group, of BMA House, Tavistock Square, London, WC1H 9JR, and the Royal Pharmaceutical Society, of 66-68 East Smithfield, London, E1W 1AW. The BNFC is jointly owned by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society, BMJ Group and RCPCH Publications Ltd of 5-11 Theobald’s Road, London WC1X 8SH.
Information we may collect from you
We collect and process the following information about you:
Information you give us:
If you register for access to the text of the BNF and BNFC, you will be asked to provide your name, postal address, telephone number, a password and a valid email address. We also ask you to tell us your professional status and the type and location of the organisation you work for.
Information we collect about you:
We also log requests to our search services.
Uses we make of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
Information you give to us. We will use this information:
To provide you with information, products and services that you request from us;
Provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you already purchased or enquired about;
Your name, IP address and log-in details (email address and password or Athens ID and password) are used to administer access to the text of the BNF and BNFC to make this website available to you and to provide you with content which is tailored to individual tastes and to provide you with services that you request and to respond to any enquiries you submit through the website. We do not rent or sell any personal information collected at this site to other organisations or companies.
Information we collect about you. We will collect this information:
In the server logs and using Google Analytics. This is primarily used to optimise our website for our visitors and to monitor the service that the website provides. The aggregated data may be shared with third parties. Other than as expressly agreed by you or stated when data are collected or within this policy, we will not disclose your personal data to any third parties other than:
- to our co-owners, licensors, contractors and advisors, who must keep these data confidential;
- as required to enforce our legal rights.
We communicate with you by email (using the address you supply) when you send us a request for registration.
Your consent will also be sought at the point of registration with the service to enable us to provide you with information about other services that we consider may be relevant to your needs and interests, including our e-newsletter and information about offers, promotions and events.
Information about your professional status and place of work is used to ensure that our services and any future developments are relevant to our visitors.
Information about requests to our search services is used for researching the efficacy of our software tools.
No personal information that could be used by Google to identify you is transmitted to Google.
Information we receive from other sources
We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the type of information we receive).
Cookies and other Technologies
Disclosure of your Information
We may share your personal information with any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our holding companies and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- Business partners and suppliers;
- Advertisers and advertising networks that required the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others;
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site;
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or asset, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
Where we store your Personal Data
We understand that the security of your information is important to you. We also understand that our continued success as a publisher on the web relies on our ability to communicate with you in a secure manner. We adhere to the highest standards of decency, fairness, and integrity in our operations. We use several measures to authenticate your identity when you visit our site. We also take steps to make sure all information is as secure as possible against unauthorised access and use (for example, by hackers). We review our security measures regularly.
Despite our best efforts, and the best efforts of other firms, “perfect security” does not exist on the Internet, or anywhere else. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
You should not share your user name and password with other people. If you think you might lose or forget these identifiers, write them down and keep each in a separate place.
You have the following rights:
- You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will inform you, before collecting you data, if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes;
- the right to ask us to update and correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal information that we hold about you free of charge;
- the right to stop receiving correspondence about our services including our e-newsletter and information about offers, promotions and events (which will require you to close your account);
- in some circumstances, the right for the personal details you have provided to be deleted.
- Our site may, from time to time, contain links to the websites of our partners, and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to Information
The Act gives you rights to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. You have a right to ask us to provide you with copies of personal data that we hold about you at any time, for which we may charge a small fee of £10 to meet out costs in providing you with details of information we hold on you.